Saturday, April 12, 2008

POTTY TRAINING


We started trying to potty train Rylan late last summer when he first turned 2 and at first we thought he was interested and I went and bought him a potty chair. Well after only one day he decided he wasn't ready yet, so then approx. 3 weeks ago I thought I would try again since he kept pulling at his diaper when he was wet or go #2 and he would immediately come and tell me cause he wanted changed.

I started using pull ups and would use M & M's as an incentive everytime he went. I'm not excited at the thought of offering candy, but I came to the conclusion that this is something big for him and us and considering it's only 2 M&Ms at a time (probably 6 total in a day). Then my 11 year old, Craig, decided to pick out a drawer and make it a "potty drawer", well that was a BIG HIT. Everytime he would go potty and he would run to the "potty drawer" and pick out a hot wheel or puzzle and he was so excited and proud of himself. I love seeing the excitement in his eyes and how proud he is to be a BIG BOY.

Well yesterday I went to the store and finally found a pair of underwear that would fit. He was so proud to be wearing underwear, and of course it being Thomas the Engine and Spiderman helped out too!

So needless to say, I'm very proud of my little guys accomplishments and all of you that have been through potty training understand how difficult it can sometimes be. Luckily, he has so far done pretty good, we've only had 1 day of him regressing and it will probably take a while before he's totally potty trained, but we are all pretty darn proud of him.

One last thing, he started waking me up at night to tell me he has to go to the potty. Ok, I think you can see my grinning with pride for our little Rylan.

No comments: